To ensure timely review of your application please follow these steps:
- At the Graduate School Website (http://graduateschool.vt.edu/):
- Complete the online application and pay the application fee. (Note: Only online applications will be considered. Notify the Director of Graduate Programs [Danny Axsom, firstname.lastname@example.org] if you do not have internet access to the online application system)
- As part of the online application, upload your resume, personal statement, and any supporting documents providing evidence of your scholarly or professional work (i.e., theses, conference poster or paper presentations, publications).
- Submit referee information on the online application so that referees will be sent the link to submit their letters online following the instructions on the Graduate School web page.
- On the online application, upload a scanned version of your official transcript(s) from all post-secondary schools you have attended. While completing your online application and prior to submitting it, you will be required to upload one copy of your scanned official transcript from each institution from which you have earned or will earn an undergraduate or graduate degree. Do not send transcripts for community college attendance or from any institution where you enrolled in classes but did not earn a degree. Make sure your scanned documents are legible before uploading, as non-legible documents will result in processing delays.
You may scan a copy of your official paper or electronic transcript provided to you from your institution’s Registrar. Do NOT upload your institution's web-based academic record or a document stating it is not an official transcript. Make sure that all critical and identifying marks have been scanned and are legible. These include the institution's name, your name, the names of your courses and the grades you have received. It is important that you scan both the front and back of your transcript as we will need to be able to review the information provided on the back of your transcript concerning credit hours, the institution's grading scale, etc. Please ensure that your file is in Word (.doc) or PDF format.
The process of uploading transcripts is intended to eliminate the need for you to mail in your transcripts, as all departments will be able to review your application based on your uploaded transcripts. If you are offered admission, you will be required to provide an official copy of your transcript(s) upon the awarding of your degree and its posting to your transcript prior to your enrollment at Virginia Tech.
- GRE Scores: Have official GRE scores reported directly to Virginia Tech. The ETS Institution Code is 5859. Only Verbal and Quantitative scores are required. The psychology subject test is not required.
If you prefer to mail hard copies of any materials, the Department of Psychology Address is:
Graduate Application Coordinator
Department of Psychology
109 Williams Hall
Virginia Tech (0436)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of race,
color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, or political
affiliation. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office.
For full consideration, all application materials must be received by December 1 for all areas (Biological Psychology, Clinical Science, Developmental Science, Industrial/Organizational Psychology). Applications are reviewed following the deadline and offers of admission are typically made during the spring for the following fall.